Saturday, May 25, 2013

I'm afraid of God - so I avoid Him


God is holy and I am not. When I read the bible I find that it is hard to face the fact that God is perfect and expects it of me as well. It is easier to ignore the bible and believe that God loves me as I am -  a sinner in rebellion against God. It is easier to think that God understands my circumstances and will look the other way because he loves me. It is easier to believe that it takes an expert to interpret the bible and I must be misreading the parts that talk of God's expectations for me. It is easier to say that I am too busy with work and family than to be too extreme as a Christian. It is easier to think that God wants me to be comfortable and not have problems. It is easier to believe that God does not want me to be persecuted and looked down upon for teaching and acting upon His Word. It is easier to agree with unbelievers and not shove my religion in their face. I should just show them my faith by my works but I really shouldn't do anything differently than unbelievers and make myself look like some religious nut. It is easier to believe that God loves all people as long as they are sincere. It is easier until you stand before God. Pure absolute terror!!!
Don't avoid the plain hard truth of God. Go to Him in humility knowing that he does forgive. He is God supreme! He will not only save you from the penalty of your wickedness but he has the power to help change you from your wickedness to righteousness. He will make a son or daughter of you. You will represent his name by your thoughts and actions. It is not easy. You will be persecuted but He was killed. You will suffer but you can pray to your father as Jesus did. You will feel guilty and shameful but it will drive you to holiness. You will stand before God almighty with an unbearable sense of His absolute greatness without fear because you are forgiven and He can say truthfully with meaning "well done my son my good and faithful servant who has endured and bore my Name well."

No comments:

Post a Comment