Friday, January 20, 2012

GET OUT OF MY YARD!!!

A friend invited me to pick up some wood from a tree they had just cut down. My father in law does wood carvings and needed more wood. Though nothing was said , I could not help but wondering what my friend was thinking as I was gathering the heavy logs. Often we make offers to our friends without thinking about potential consequences. Did my friend ever think "What if he hurts himself while loading the wood ?" Will my insurance cover an injury on my property?" This is the sad world we live in. You can't invite your neighbor over without the fear of some lawsuit. Even among close friends you can't be too sure. It isn't like you are suing your friend directly. The "greedy evil" insurance company will have to pay. So many people are opportunists. Can I sue? Then I should. Do I qualify for government aid? Then I MUST apply. Will a small lie get me some benefit? Lets do it! The doctor will prescribe addictive pain relievers. Get them while you can. This is why we live in fear of our neighbor. Of course this does not detour us from being neighborly but the fear is always buried there in the back of your mind.
When I was in my early 20s I went to a birthday party and dislocated my knee playing volleyball. The next day the father of my friend asked me "What will it take to make it right between us? I don't want to use my insurance. Name your price." I almost cried! We are both Christians - We are brothers. How could he ask such a thing? I told him that it was my choice and my risk to play the game. I did not care what the law was. I paid $2500 out of my own pocket for doctor bills and ambulance fees. I had no insurance. I used all my savings for a new car. It was worth it. I kept my friend.
 Yes you can do many things in life but should you? What is the cost to society and our well being?

No comments:

Post a Comment